Tailem Bend War MemorialPrint Page
A monument commemorates those who have served in various conflicts in which Australia has been involved. The monument was originally erected in memory of those who died in service or were killed in action in World Wars One and Two. It was relocated and rededicated in 2005.
A start is to be made at once with the Tailem Bend War Memorial, and the contractor (Mr. A. G. Sharrard) expects to have the work completed within three months. It will be a Scottish blue pearl granite monument, overlooking the river and facing the side of the institute. Sufficient funds are in hand to pay for the monument, but the committee is endeavoring to raise more money to make the lawns and approaches to the memorial.
Chronicle (Adelaide), 21 April 1949.
Monument characteristics :
A grey obelisk with gold engraving and a number of metal plaques at its base
|Address:||Railway Terrace, Tailem Bend, 5260|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -35.256314|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Manufacturer:||Mr. A.G. Sharrard (contractor)|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1949|
In honour of the Fallen
1914 - 1918
1939 - 1945
War Memorial Taliem Bend
The previous location for this war memorial was Princes Highway opposite Willow Street, Tailem Bend.
Relocated to this site February 2005
Rededicated 25 April 2005
To all those men and women who served their country
Malaya 1948 - 60
Korea 1950 - 54
Borneo 1962 - 66
Malaysia 1964 - 65
Sth Vietnam 1962 - 73
Memorial Rosemary Hedge.
In memory of all those who lost their lives during all wars and conflicts for the sake of peace. Lest We Forget.
The rosemary bushes were propagated from cuttings originating from a small branch brought back to Adelaide by a wounded digger from Gallipoli during the Great War 1914 - 1918 and is now growing at the Repatriation General Hospital Daw Park S.A.
Sponsored by Tailem Bend Lions Club, Australian Lions Foundation 2007