East Ballina Massacre SitePrint Page
A memorial dedicated to the Bundjalung people who lost their lives in the Black Head massacre.
There is a strong oral tradition amongst the Bundjalung Aboriginal community that a massacre occurred in the 1850s at an old campsite at East Ballina. The oral tradition includes stories of escape, of people who were shot and were laid to rest in the forests north of the camp, and of those who were driven off the cliff at Black Head. There is a belief that some victims of the massacre were never buried, their bodies being either dumped off the cliff at Black Head or abandoned on Angels Beach.
Follow the pathway at the northern end of Shelly Beach Road. The memorial is located about 100 metres along the path on the left hand side.
|Address:||Shelly Beach Road , East Ballina, 2478|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -28.858859|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 11th August, 2001|
We remember them.
In Memory Of All The Bundjalung People
Who Lost Their Lives At The Massacre
Of 1853 Or 1854, In This East Ballina Area.