Pine Creek Gold RushPrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by Chris McLaughlin

The stone commemorates the first gold discovery at Pine Creek by Wentworth Darcy Uhr in 1872 and all Northern Territory mining pioneers. 

Uhr maintained his interest in both gold and cattle. He was at Coolgardie in 1894, too late for the gold rush but in time to form the D'Arcy Uhr Goldmining Company. He settled down to become a popular pillar of Coolgardie society.

The gold mining industry at Pine Creek was slow to develop, even though good alluvial gold had been located at Yam Creek, Cullen River and Gandy's Gully as early as 1871. The first major reef was discovered in 1872 and named the Priscilla. Since that time many small workings were developed, mostly by Chinese workers under tribute to European owners.

Gold production declined during the 1890s but there were still twenty-seven stamp batteries at fifteen mines in the area. By 1907 most of the gold mining was replaced by tin and wolfram. By 1915 about 75,000 ounces of gold had been recovered from the area.


Address:Main Terrace, Pine Creek, 0847
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -13.819972
Long: 131.83196
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Technology
Approx. Event Start Date:1872
Approx. Event End Date:1872


Approx. Monument Dedication Date:1974
Front Inscription

This stone commemorates Pine Creek Gold Rush, 1872 - 74.

First payable gold found, Grove Hill, by H. Roberts, July, 1872 and at Pine Creek, by W. Darcy Uhr, Oct. 1872.  

Rich Eleanor Reef found by J. Lewis,

Average yield, Union and other Reefs, 10 to 80 Ounces to the ton.

Pine Creek Field produced over $4 million worth of gold.

Erected in honour of all Northern Territory mining pioneers


Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design