Historic Engineering Marker - Remnant of Jervois BridgePrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by Paul Scott

The Historic Engineering plaque commemorates the Jervois Bridge.

The Institution of Engineers Australia, through its Heritage Committees, established the Australian Historic Engineering Plaquing Program to acknowledge past engineering achievements and to draw public attention to the significant contributions they have made to society.

The Plaquing Program is a means of bringing public recognition to significant historic engineering works and the engineers who created them. The Program is intended to contribute to the conservation of Australian engineering heritage.


Address:Hart Street, Near Old Troubridge Loading Ramp, Port Adelaide, 5015
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -34.844939
Long: 138.4983614
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Technology


Approx. Monument Dedication Date:1994
Front Inscription

Historic Engineering Marker

Remnant of Jervois Bridge

This bridge keeper`s gallery and box was a part of the only swing bridge in South Australia.  Opened in 1878 and demolished in 1969, the bridge linked St. Vincent Street, Port Adelaide across the Port River to Hart Street.

Its central span of 50m rotated for the passage of ships.  The wrought iron structure was supplied by Westwood Baillie of England.

Its construction was supervised by engineer H. C. Mais.

Road, rail, tram and pedestrian traffic used the bridge which provided improved access to Semaphore.

Dedicated by the Institution of Engineers, Australia, 1994


Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au