www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Discovery of OpalPrint Page Print this page

31-May-2021
31-May-2021
Photographs supplied by Dr John Jennings

The plaque commemorates the discovery of opal in April 1930 by S. M. Brooks and R. Shepard.

The Assistant Government Geologist (Mr. Ralph W. Segnit), in a recent Mines Department bulletin, tells of the luck of two boundary riders in discovering the opal fields at Andamooka Station, out from Pimba. Opal was first discovered there accidentally by two boundary riders, Sam Brooks and R. Shepherd, on the hillside of what is now known as "Treloar's Claim," states Mr. Segnit.

It was identified as precious opal by Mr. Bruce McK. Foulis, the manager of Andamooka Station, on August 29, 1930. The first gougers were R. Treloar and P. Evans, who worked on the claim for several months, and obtained opal worth about £1,500 before the discovery was generally known. "It must be pointed out," Mr. Segnit adds, "that although opal to the Value of £5,000 to £6,000 has been discovered and removed from this field, the field cannot be regarded as being of unlimited extent."
Transcontinental (Port Augusta, SA), 20 October 1939.

 

Location

Address:Bartram Street, Andamooka, 5722
State:SA
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -30.446091
Long: 137.165621
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Technology
Sub-Theme:Industry
Approx. Event Start Date:1930
Approx. Event End Date:1930

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Friday 4th April, 1980
Front Inscription

Discovery of Opal Andamooka 1930

This plaque commemorates the discovery of opal in April 1930, by S. M. Brooks and R. Shepard.

Unveiled by Mr. L. G. Wallis, M. H. R.  Member for Grey

4th April 1980.

A. P. O. M. A.

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design