www.monumentaustralia.org.au

25 Years of Closer Settlement & Irrigation Farming at InvergordonPrint Page Print this page

27-February-2021
27-February-2021

Photographs supplied by Sandra Brown
The plaque and irrigation machinery commemorate 25 years of Closer Settlement and Irrigation Farming at Invergordon 1961-1986. 

Invergordon, a dairying and orcharding area in north-central Victoria, is 30 km north-east of Shepparton. 

In the 1950s the State Rivers and Water Supply Commission began the construction of channels and drains for irrigation water from the East Goulburn Channel. One hundred and seventy dairy and orchard holdings were created, mostly for soldier settlement. The small area schools had been closed in 1948 and 1954, but the newly added population required a new school in 1962. It also required a small township.

Many of the orchards failed because of poor drainage and the holdings were changed to dairying. In the 1990s about a quarter of the first orchard blocks remained.

Location

Address:Centre Road & Batey Drive, W.B. Gaffney Reserve, Recreation Reserve, Invergordon, 3636
State:VIC
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -36.149778
Long: 145.610485
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Technology
Monument Theme:Technology
Sub-Theme:Industry
Approx. Event Start Date:1961
Approx. Event End Date:1986

Dedication

Approx. Monument Dedication Date:1986
Front Inscription
Plaque:
TO COMMEMORATE 25 YEARS OF
CLOSER SETTLEMENT AND IRRIGATION
FARMING AT INVERGORDON
1961 - 1986
Unveiled By
IAN K. MORTON, A.M. 
CHAIRMAN,
RURAL FINANCE COMMISSION
Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design