www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Completion of the Bunbury - Boyanup Rail LinkPrint Page Print this page

30-November-2020
30-November-2020

Photographs supplied by Chris Abbott

The plaque commemorates the completion of the Bunbury to Boyanup Rail Link in 1891.

The proposal for the Bunbury to Boyanup railway was mooted at a public meeting as early as 1883. After some opposition and discussion on the route and rail gauge to be used, the Bunbury to Boyanup railway was completed in 1887. However no trains ran for four years after the Public Works Department closed the line indefinitely with no explanation.

While the line was closed the Railway Commissioner granted permission for a private contractor to use the line as a horse drawn railway for a period of time. In December 1890, John Forrest was elected the first Premier of responsible government in the colony, and as an advocate of railways, had the line open within three months. It was reopened in March 1891 and the two locomotives imported in December 1887 for the line, were brought back to be used on the Boyanup railway.

OPENING OF THE BUNBURY - BOYANUP RAILWAY.

Bunbury, March 12.

The ceremony of opening the Bunbury - Boyanup Railway for traffic took place to-day.  The weather was beautiful. The first train, consisting of fourteen carriages, left Bunbury at 10 a.m., carrying fully 300 persons.  The Commissioner of Railways and Mr. R. A. Sholl, Postmaster General, were on the train. Both the station and the train were profusely decorated, the engine especially being gaily attired with flowers and bunting. 

As the train left, the crowd cheered and the sight was one such as had never been witnessed here. At Picton and Dardanup more people were picked up, and when the train reached Boyanup a large assemblage of visitors from the neighbourhood of Preston and the Blackwood were congregated there. The train steamed in amidst the cheers of the assembled public and of the occupants of the carriages. The terminus at Boyanup was decorated with bunting, and a marquee had been erected there, around which the people crowded, and under which the Mayor of Bunbury, Mr. W. Spencer, commenced proceedings.

The West Australian Friday 13 March 1891

Location

Address:Bridge Street, Fettlers Park , Boyanup, 6237
State:WA
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -33.484513
Long: 115.725929
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Technology
Sub-Theme:Industry
Actual Event Start Date:12-March-1891
Actual Event End Date:12-March-1891

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 17th March, 1979
Front Inscription

This plaque was placed on this site to commemorate the completion of the Bunbury - Boyanup Rail Link on March 12 1891.

This was the first public railway in the south west of the State and was to have a major influence in the development of the Boyanup District.

Unveiled by Hon. G. C. MacKinnon, M. L. C. on March 17 1979 as part of Western Australia`s 150th Anniversary Celebrations

 

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design