www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Historic Engineering Marker - Urrbrae House Refrigerator & Cold RoomsPrint Page Print this page

05-March-2021
05-March-2021

Photographs supplied by Stephen Warren

The Historic Engineering plaque commemorates the Urrbrae House refrigerator and cold rooms.

The Institution of Engineers Australia, through its Heritage Committees, established the Australian Historic Engineering Plaquing Program to acknowledge past engineering achievements and to draw public attention to the significant contributions they have made to society.

The Plaquing Program is a means of bringing public recognition to significant historic engineering works and the engineers who created them. The Program is intended to contribute to the conservation of Australian engineering heritage.

Location

Address:Wattle Road, Urrbrae House, Urrbrae, 5064
State:SA
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -34.969364
Long: 138.634235
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Technology
Sub-Theme:Industry

Dedication

Approx. Monument Dedication Date:1996
Front Inscription

Historic Engineering Marker 

Urrbrae House Refrigerator and Cold Rooms

The refrigeration plant and cold rooms is the earliest example of domestic refrigeration in Australia. 

It was installed in 1895 by Wildridge & Sinclair of Sydney (1890 - 1989) for the pastoralist Peter Waite (1834 - 1922).

It utilises a vertical double-acting ammonia compressor designed in Germany in 1876 by Prof. Carl Linde (1842 - 1934) and  built by the Linde British Refrigeration Company.  This was the first commercially viable compressor of its type and was produced in large numbers.

Dedicated by the Institution of Engineers, Australia, and the University of Adelaide,

1996
 

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design