www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Pioneer Quarrymen & WinemakersPrint Page Print this page

06-February-2021
06-February-2021

Photographs supplied by Stephen Warren

Stonyfell Quarry Park is dedicated to the pioneer quarrymen and winemakers.

Location

Address:Penfold Road, Stonyfell Quarry Park , Stonyfell, 5066
State:SA
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -34.931906
Long: 138.677636
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Park
Monument Theme:Technology
Sub-Theme:Industry

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Tuesday 9th April, 1974
Front Inscription

Plaque :

Stonyfell Quarry Park 

Stone was quarried from the quartzite hill nearby in 1837 by Richard Eales Borrow for early colonial buildings, notably the Adelaide Gaol.

Henry Clark established the first vineyards in 1858 in this locality named Stonyfell from the stony slopes called fells in England.

In 1873 Joseph Crompton purchased the quarry and vineyards from the Clark family and Stonyfell became known for its good stone and good wine.

Henry Dunstan, a quarryman, acquired both interests in 1888 and in 1902 his manager, Henry Martin and son, Ronald Martin, purchased the winery.

The Dunstan family quarried stone here for 51 years and the present owners Quarry Industries Ltd. who bought the quarry in 1939 have dedicated this park to the pioneer quarrymen and winemakers whose horse-drawn carts rumbled past here so long ago.

Stonyfell Quarry Park officially opened by the Hon. G. R. Broomhill. M. P. 

9th April 1974

Has been developed by Quarry Industries Limited for the enjoyment of local citizens and their children

 

 

 

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design