www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Whittaker Brothers Blacksmith ShopPrint Page Print this page

25-January-2021
25-January-2021

Photographs supplied by Stephen Warren
The plaque commemorates the Whittaker Brothers blacksmith shop.

William and Maria Whittaker from America took up land here in 1876 and their eldest son George Dowling Whittaker invented the first two and three furrow stump jump ploughs in 1877 at his blacksmith shop. The Smith brothers a few miles away at Arthurton invented a single furrow stump jump plough in 1876. George’s brothers helped him in producing the stump jump ploughs which had won first prize in a ploughing competition at Ardrossan in 1880. They produced the ploughs from 1877 into the mid 1880s but his blacksmith works continued beyond that. George was born in Wisconsin in the United States. Coincidentally he died in 1901 the same year as Clarence Smith his business rival. 

Location

Address:Dowlingville Slant Road & Cook Road, Dowlingville, 5571
State:SA
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -34.327374
Long: 137.919604
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Technology
Sub-Theme:Industry

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 19th April, 1998
Front Inscription

This Site Sec. 129 HD. Cunningham
 Taken Up December 1876
        Commemorates
The Whittaker Bros. Blacksmith Shop
Where This Stump Jump Plough
       Was Manufactured
Unveiled On 19th April 1998
              By
William James Whittaker
Grandson Of G P. D. Whittaker

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design