www.monumentaustralia.org.au

C. H. Smith Power HousePrint Page Print this page

29-December-2020
29-December-2020

Photographs supplied by Stephen Warren

The Ardossan Museum commemorates the C. H. Smith Power House.

In 1880 Clarence H Smith opened a shop in a tin shed at Ardrossan where he perfected and manufactured the stump-jump plough. At the height of this factory’s success it employed 130 men. The factory was powered by a steam engine which produced the first electricity on Yorke Peninsula.

Unfortunately, the Great Depression of the 1930s saw the end of the Smith enterprise. The old power house which now houses the Ardrossan Museum, is the only remaining building.

 

 

Location

Address:16 Fifth Street, Ardrossan Museum, Ardrossan, 5571
State:SA
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -34.424221
Long: 137.918116
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Technology
Sub-Theme:Industry
Actual Event Start Date:06-October-1973
Actual Event End Date:06-October-1973

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 6th October, 1973
Front Inscription

"This Museum Was Officially
Opened 6th October, 1973 And
Commemorates The Original
C. H. Smith Power House
      Donated By
Mr. & Mrs. M. L. Sanders
     To The
National Trust Of South Australia."

 

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design