www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Historic Engineering Marker - Smith`s Stump Jump PloughPrint Page Print this page

29-December-2020
29-December-2020

Photographs supplied by Stephen Warren

The Historic Engineering Marker commemorates the stump jump plough designed by Richard Smith in August 1876.

The Institution of Engineers Australia, through its Heritage Committees, established the Australian Historic Engineering Plaquing Program to acknowledge past engineering achievements and to draw public attention to the significant contributions they have made to society.The Plaquing Program is a means of bringing public recognition to significant historic engineering works and the engineers who created them. The Program is intended to contribute to the conservation of Australian engineering heritage.

Location

Address:16 Fifth Street, Ardrossan Museum, Ardrossan, 5571
State:SA
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -34.424221
Long: 137.918116
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Technology
Sub-Theme:Industry

Dedication

Approx. Monument Dedication Date:1987
Front Inscription

Historic Engineering Marker

Smith`s Stump - Jump Plough

Richard Bowyer Smith (1837 - 1919) of Kalkabury, South Australia, is popularly credited with the first Stump-Jump Plough design. 

In August 1876 Richard and his brother, Clarence demonstrated their Vixen three furrow gravity - restored plough which  could cope with obstacles which caused set - ploughs to fail.

Clarence H. Smith manufactured Stump-Jump ploughs at Ardrossan from 1880 to 1935.

Stump - Jumping became an establised principle on Australian tillageeEquipment and continues in more sophisticated forms  today.

Dedicated by the Institution of Engineers, Australia

1987

 

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design