www.monumentaustralia.org.au

150 Years of Copper Mining & SmeltingPrint Page Print this page

28-November-2020
28-November-2020

Photographs supplied by Stephen Warren

The plaque commemorates 150 years of copper mining and smelting in Wallaroo.

Copper was discovered in 1859 on Walter Watson Hughes' sheep run 'Wallaroo' by James Boor, one of his shepherds. The Wallaroo mine as it was called developed quickly and, with copper selling for 115 pounds a ton, was very prosperous. Hughes established smelting works on the nearby coast and the town and port of Wallaroo was proclaimed in 1861. Up to 1889 the value of ores sold from the Wallaroo mines was nearly 2.25 million pounds.

 

Location

Address:Heritage Drive, Wallaroo, 5556
State:SA
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -33.928034
Long: 137.624766
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Technology
Sub-Theme:Industry
Actual Event Start Date:1860
Actual Event End Date:2010
Designer:Trevor Wren (sculptor)

Dedication

Approx. Monument Dedication Date:2010
Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design