Plympton Railway StationPrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by Stephen Warren
The plaque commemorates the Plympton Railway Station and the railway heritage from 1880 to 1929.

The historic Plympton Railway Station was one of the platforms along the North Terrace Line that originally connected the City of Glenelg to the City of Adelaide. The South Terrace Line is now known as the Adelaide to Glenelg tram-line; the North Terrace Line was abandoned in 1929 and the rails have since been removed. During this time period there were two Plympton railway stations, one on each line. The station in this report was most often referred to as the North Plympton Train Station as it was located on the North Terrace Line.

The North Terrace Line did not commence operations until May of 1880 (Blake 2010:77). The new line was initiated by the Holdfast Bay Railway Company who opened the line in competition with Suburban Company hoping to draw business from the other line by offering a shorter trip and more efficient service (South Australian Advertiser 1880:1-2). After approximately 12 months it became evident that despite the popularity of the trains there was not enough business to support two separate companies and in 1881 the two companies merged to become the Glenelg Railway Company. The Glenelg Railway Company took over management of both the South and North Terrace lines.

In March of 1929 the last steam train ran along the South Terrace Line and henceforth electric trams ran in their place. The last passenger train was driven along the North Terrace line in November of the same year by Mr Thomas Stockley.


Address:Westside Bikeway, Plympton North, 5037
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -34.959161
Long: 138.555486
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Technology
Approx. Event Start Date:1880
Approx. Event End Date:1929


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 19th December, 1999
Front Inscription

City of West Torrens 

On behalf of the Council this plaque was unveiled on 19 December 1999 by Cr Garth Palmer JP MLG

To remember our railway heritage and the Plympton Railway Station which occupied this site 1880 - 1929 on the Holdfast Bay Railway Line

Members of Council

Ken Richards ( Deputy Mayor )

Harry Boyce JP     David Crossing   George Demetriou JP
Paul Demetriou     Maxine Gibbs      Rosalie Haese
Dermot Holden      John Lindner       Arthur Mangos JP
Annette O`Rielley  Trevor Owen JP  Tony Polito
David Matthews

Trevor Starr (City Manager)
Dr Reece Jennings JP MA MD PhD ( Mayor )

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au