www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Tarlee BaselinePrint Page Print this page

07-August-2020
07-August-2020

Photographs supplied by Stephen Warren

The plaque commemorates the establishment and precise measurement of the Tarlee Baseline, which was used to coordinate the then arbitrary independent, State based surveys for the commencement of the first National Australian Mapping Programme in June and July 1934 by a surveying party lead by Captain Vance and Lieutenant Fitzgerald of the Australian Army Survey Corps.

Location

Address:Wild Dog Hill Road, War Memorial Garden, Tarlee, 5411
State:SA
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -34.299442
Long: 138.805572
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Technology
Sub-Theme:Industry

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 14th July, 2001
Front Inscription

Tarlee Baseline
(East Base Terminal)

This plaque commemorates the establishment and subsequent precise measurement of the Tarlee Baseline – from this point to the West Base 7.6 km to the west, which was used to coordinate the then arbitrary independent, State based surveys for the commencement of the first National Australian Mapping Programme in June / July 1934 by a surveying party lead by Capt. Vance and Lt. Fitzgerald of the Australian (Army) Survey Corps, and the subsequent restoration of the monument by members of the South Australia Division of the Institution of Engineering and Mining Surveyors - Australia.  The original centro-polo,and vanes is currently displayed in the Riverton Museum together with a brief history of the Baseline measurement process, etc.

Placed by the South Australia Division of the Institution of Engineering and Mining Surveyors - Australia with assistance from 3 Field Squadron - RAE, Footersville Pty Ltd Wattyl Paints, Cowelis Woodroffe Steel Buillding Products.  Office of the Surveyor-General  Wades Engineering, the Royal Australian Survey Corps Ex-Servicemen`s Association, the Clare and Gilbert Valleys Council, and the Light Regional Council on 14th July 2001

.

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design