150th Anniversary of Examiner NewspaperPrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by Peter Williams

The sculpture "Tasmanian Tableau" was presented to the people of Tasmania to commemorate the 150th anniversary of the first publication of the Examiner newspaper. 

The Examiner is the daily newspaper of the city of Launceston and north-eastern Tasmania, Australia. The Examiner was first published on 12 March 1842, and founded by James Aikenhead. The Reverend John West was instrumental in establishing the newspaper and was the first editorial writer. At first it was a weekly publication (Saturdays). The Examiner expanded to Wednesdays six months later. In 1853, the paper was changed to tri-weekly (Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays), and first began daily publication on 10 April 1866.

This frequency lasted until 16 February the next year. Tri-weekly publication then resumed and continued until 21 December 1877 when the daily paper returned. The Weekly Courier was published by the company from 1901 to 1935. Another weekly paper (evening) The Saturday Evening Express was published between 1924 and 1984 when it transformed into The Sunday Examiner a title which continues to this day.


Address:Cameron Street, Civic Square, Launceston, 7250
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -41.435711
Long: 147.137393
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Sculpture
Monument Theme:Technology
Artist:Stephen Walker A. M. (Hobart, TAS)


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Wednesday 11th March, 1992
Front Inscription

           To Commemorate
The 150th Anniversary Of Its First Publication 
     The Examiner Newspaper
Presented This Sculpture Group "Tasmanian Tableau"
To The People Of Tasmania On The 11th March 1992

Kenneth Von Bibra                Graeme Beams 
Chairman,                              Mayor,
The Examiner Newspaper     City of Launceston

Sculptor : Stephen Walker ,  A.M. 


Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au