www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Osterley CreameryPrint Page Print this page

19-February-2020
19-February-2020

Photographs supplied by Sandra Brown

The monument commemorates the success of the Osterley Creamery and the people involved in its establishment.

The first creamery in the lower Hunter was established at Osterley in April 1892, followed by Eagleton in September, Millers Forest in October and Vacy in December of 1892. Commonly known as the Osterley Creamery, its official name was the Hunter River Pioneer Co-operative Creamery Co.

The Osterley creamery was typical of creameries at that time. They were usualy two storeys high so carts could drive underneath where the milk cans were hauled to the top storey by block and tackle. Here the milk was weighed then fed by gravity into steam-powered separators where the cream and skim milk flowed into different containers. If the farmer wished he could move his cart along to a skim milk line and fill his empty milk cans with skim milk to take back to the farm.

By the turn of the century, the widespread on-farm separation of cream combined with the establishment of larger regional butter factories sounded the death knell for small district creameries. One by one they shut down, the Osterley creamery closing in November 1903.

Location

Address:804 Hinton Road , Osterley, 2324
State:NSW
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -32.725794
Long: 151.704448
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Technology
Sub-Theme:Industry
Actual Event Start Date:
Approx. Event Start Date:April-1892
Actual Event End Date:
Approx. Event End Date:July-1903

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Wednesday 16th November, 1988
Front Inscription

Plaque :

HUNTER RIVER PIONEER
CO-OPERATIVE CREAMERY CO.

The first co-operative dairy creamery in the Hunter Valley
was located on this site. Better known as the Osterley
Creamery it provided milk and cream separation
facilities for the local dairy farmers.
This monument stands as a perpetual reminder of the
remarkable success of Osterley Creamery and of the
fore-thought and ambition of all those involved in its
establishment.
Osterley Creamery operated from April 1892 to July 1903.
This plaque was unveiled on 16th November, 1988.

Plaque :

Suppliers
[ Names ]

Mr. S. Rothwell  Factory Manager
T. H. Pearse       Chairman Managing Director

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design