CSR Cane PavilionPrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by John Huth

The pavilion commemorates the participation of CSR in the sugar industry in New South Wales since 1870.

The Colonial Sugar Refining Company was founded on 1 January 1855 by Sir Edward Knox. It was formed in Sydney as a partnership of unlimited liability which took over some of the assets of the Australasian Sugar Company and Robey and Company including sugar stocks and the Brisbane House refinery and distillery. On 1 June 1857 the Colonial Sugar Refining Company shareholders and Victorian business interests formed an associate company – the Victorian Sugar Company – to establish a refinery and distillery in Melbourne. From 1869-70, three large sugar mills were built and operated on the Macleay and Clarence rivers, New South Wales. 



Address:12 Cameron Street, Maclean Showground, Maclean, 2463
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -29.463883
Long: 153.199056
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Structure
Monument Theme:Technology
Approx. Event Start Date:1870


Approx. Monument Dedication Date:1981
Front Inscription

CSR Cane Pavilion

This Cane Pavilion was constructed in 1981 with funds jointly donated by the Clarence Sugar Executive and CSR Limited to  commemorate CSR`s participation in the raw sugar industry of New South Wales for 100 years from 1870

W. J. Thompson  President  Lower Clarence Agricultural Society
Cr. B. Filewood    President  Maclean Shire Council


Left Side Inscription


Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au