www.monumentaustralia.org.au

150th Anniversary of the Macquarie LightPrint Page Print this page

13-September-2018
13-September-2018

Photographs supplied by Heather Stevens

The monumentl commemorates the 150th anniversary of the establishment of the Macquarie Light which was the first lighthouse erected in Australia.

The first lighthouse structure in Australia it was started in 1816 and completed in 1818 at the command of Governor Macquarie. The work was undertaken by Francis Greenway, the famous convict Architect, responsible for many significant and beautiful buildings in early Sydney. Governor Macquarie was so pleased with the quality of the work that Greenway was producing, he granted him emancipation for his efforts. However, Greenway had warned that the poor quality of the sandstone being used would result in the rapid deterioration of the new tower.

The new light was a revolving apparatus, powered by a clockwork mechanism, and consisting of a number of oil burning lamps set in parabolic reflectors. It flashed once every minute and was visible for 22 miles.

As Greenway had predicted the tower soon began to deteriorate. Several large stones fell away as early as 1823. Large iron bands were placed around the tower to prevent further movement. The state of the tower was so parlous by 1878 that the New South Wales Government determined to build a new tower.

The construction of the current Macquarie Lighthouse was begun in 1881 and the light was first exhibited in 1883. It was designed by James Barnet and is a replica of the original tower, but stronger in materials and design.

 

Location

Address:Old South Head Road, Macquarie Light, Vaucluse, 2030
State:NSW
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -33.850209
Long: 151.286834
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Technology
Sub-Theme:Industry
Actual Event Start Date:30-November-1818
Actual Event End Date:30-November-1968

Dedication

Approx. Monument Dedication Date:1968
Front Inscription

Macquarie Light

Australia`s first lighthouse began operating 30th November 1818

The original lighthouse built on this site was designed by Francis Greenway by order of Governor Lachlan Macquarie

This memorial was erected to commemorate the 150th anniversary of the establishment of the light.

Unveiled by the Honourable Ian Sinclair M.P. Commonwealth Minister for Shipping and Transport

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design