Harbourmaster`s Cottage MemorialPrint Page Print this page

02-November-2020 (Stephen Warren)
02-November-2020 (Stephen Warren)

Photographs supplied by Bryan Cole / Stephen Warren
The monument marks the site of the first Harbourmaster`s cottage in Port Elliot and is a tribute to the activities of the Harbour Master and the town as a port.  

From 1851 to 1866 more than 500 vessels used the facilities of the Port Elliot seaport. Unfortunately the wrecking of seven vessels between 1853 and 1864 confirmed Horseshoe Bay's growing reputation as a 'ship-trap', resulting in Victor Harbor replacing Port Elliot as the coastal outlet for the Murray trade.


Address:15 The Strand, Port Elliot, 5212
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -35.534987
Long: 138.682437
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Technology
Designer:Mr. A. Gillesen


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 1st February, 1976
Front Inscription

"This memorial was erected by the South Coast Lions Club to mark the site of the first Harbourmaster`s Cottage at Port Elliot.

It was constructed using lintels from the cottage and the first local Congregational Church".


Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au