www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Historic Engineering Marker - Trees of Canberra AvenuePrint Page Print this page

08-December-2015
08-December-2015

The Historic Engineering Marker and tree commemorate the 75th Anniversary of tree planting in Manuka in 1926 and the Centenary of Federation. It also symbolises the interest and role of engineers in the building of the capital and the nation.

In 1925 Sydney paper merchant William Bremner Carmichael visited Canberra and was struck by the need for trees for the beautification of the national capital. He wrote letters to the editors of major Australian newspapers urging societies and organisations to donate trees or avenue of trees for this purpose .

The Institution of Engineers, Australia was one of the organisations which responded, sponsoring some 96 trees. On 2nd August 1926, members of the Institution visited Canberra and planted trees in Manuka Circle, part of the now Canberra Avenue.

A delegation of the Institution of Engineers visited Canberra on Monday to plant a presentation avenue of trees at Manuka.  The visitors comprised 21 members and their wives. The party was joined by two members from the Duntroon Military College, and was welcomed at the Hotel Canberra by the assistant engineer (Mr Pottie) in the absence of the chairman (Mr Butters) in Melbourne. The party went to Manuka, where the planting ceremony was carried out in four sections. The presentation tree avenue idea was originated some time ago by Mr W.B. Carmichael of Sydney, and several public bodies have taken part.  The trees planted by the Institution of Engineers numbered 96.
The Argus (Melbourne), 4th August 1926.

The Institution of Engineers Australia, through its Heritage Committees, established the Australian Historic Engineering Plaquing Program to acknowledge past engineering achievements and to draw public attention to the significant contributions they have made to society.The Plaquing Program is a means of bringing public recognition to significant historic engineering works and the engineers who created them. The Program is intended to contribute to the conservation of Australian engineering heritage.

Location

Address:Manuka Circle, Griffith, 2603
State:ACT
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -35.318084
Long: 149.132927
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Technology
Sub-Theme:Industry

Dedication

Approx. Monument Dedication Date:2001
Front Inscription

Historic Engineering Marker
The Trees of Canberra Avenue

At the suggestion of William B. Carmichael of Sydney in 1925, various societies and organisations sponsored the planting of trees in Canberra for the beautification of the national capital.

On 2 August 1926, members of the Institution of Engineers ceremoniously planted trees in Manuka Circle, symbolising the interest and role of engineers in the building of the capital and the nation.  

As an act of celebration of the Centenary of Federation in 2001, Dr Martin Cole, President of the Institution, planted a tree on this site on 2 August of that year.

Dedicated by the Institution of Engineers, Australia
2001 - -  The Centenary of Federation

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design