Timber Getters MemorialPrint Page Print this page

Photographs supplied by John Huth

The plaque commemorates the role of timber getters of the Eumundi - Kenilworth District for their in the early history of Eumundi. Eumundi developed as an important centre of the timber and dairying industry.

The surrounding country consisted of dense scrub full of pine, beech and cedar and long ridges covered with tallowood and blackbutt. George Etheridge, in 1895, moved his sawmill from Petrie's Creek (Nambour) to Main Camp and in 1900 moved it once again to Eumundi. It functioned here until 1938. In 1922, a second sawmill was brought in from Verrierdale. The two mills operated amicably as one specialised in hardwood and the other processed softwood timber.

Note: A sculpture associated with this plaque was removed due to repeated acts of vandalism and deterioration. 


Address:80 Memorial Drive, Eumundi, 4562
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -26.476878
Long: 152.952123
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Technology


Front Inscription

1788 - 1988

Memorial to timber getters of the Eumundi - Kenilworth Districts.

A tribute by Allan Templeton to the timber getters for their part in Eumundi`s early history

Allan Templeton (Councillor 1970 - 1988) Maroochy Shire Council

Eumundi Historical Association

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au