Historic Engineering Marker - Gundagai Historic BridgesPrint Page Print this page

Historic Engineering Marker : 29-May-2013
Historic Engineering Marker : 29-May-2013

Photographs supplied by Sandra Brown / John Huth
An Historic Engineering Plaque commemorates the bridges of Gundagai.

The Institution of Engineers Australia, through its Heritage Committees, established the Australian Historic Engineering Plaquing Program to acknowledge past engineering achievements and to draw public attention to the significant contributions they have made to society.The Plaquing Program is a means of bringing public recognition to significant historic engineering works and the engineers who created them. The Program is intended to contribute to the conservation of Australian engineering heritage.


Address:Middleton Drive , Gundagai, 2722
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -35.073339
Long: 148.107536
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Technology


Approx. Monument Dedication Date:1998
Front Inscription

Historic Engineering Marker

Historic bridges of Gundagai

These two bridges comprise similair pin-jointed structures over the Murrumbidgee River and timber viaducts over the flood plain.

The 1867 iron, three-span Warren truss road bridge and two successive viaducts carried the Hume Highway for 110 years.

The iron cylinders for the piers were cast in Mittagong by Fitzroy Iron Worls and trusses were assembled using iron work from England.

The railway bridge is a steel hog-back style truss which was manufactured in the USA by A & P Roberts Company, the bridge and its timber Howe truss viaduct, the longest in Australia, were completed in 1903 by the Department of Public Works engineers and day labour.  These structures carried the branch railway to Tumut for 82 years.

Dedicated by the Institute of Engineers, Australia and Gundagai Historic Bridges Inc. - 1998

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au