Centenary of Electric Tramways in BendigoPrint Page Print this page

Photographs supplied by Nancy Alford

The plaque commemorates the centenary of the electric tramways in Bendigo.

In 1890 Bendigo experimented with Battery trams, but it is no surprise that the experiment failed and sent the operator bankrupt. So, from 1892, the town was served by a Steam tram system, which lasted until 1902. In 1903, the Electricity Supply Company of Victoria (a British company) introduced electric trams, partly as a way of selling electricity to customers along the routes. Among them were two single-truck toastrack trams (also called Summer Cars) which were built for the Bendigo tramways in 1913. One of these is preserved at the Bendigo Tramways.


Address:1 Tramways Avenue, Bendigo Tram Depot, Bendigo, 3550
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -36.754044
Long: 144.28919
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Technology


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 12th April, 2003
Front Inscription

The Bendigo Trust celebrated the centenary of the electric tramways in Bendigo on 12th April 2003

Plaque unveiled by the Hon Jacinta Allen MP 
Minister for Education Services, Employment and Youth Affairs
Member for Bendigo East

David Wright    Dennis O'Hoy    Kim Smith
C.E.O.              President           Tramways Manager

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au