Mining MemorialPrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by John Huth

A statue of a miner commemorates the history and contribution of the mining industry in Mount Perry.

Mining activity began in the 1860s. The discovery of rich copper deposits led to a boom as news of the strike spread. In its heyday, Mount Perry boasted some 25 hotels. These did not last, and by 1876 the town had settled down to six regular hostelries. As the land was cleared for mining operations, it spawned another industry - timber, which was used by the mines and for housing. Good stands of pine, cedar and hardwoods attracted many timber getters who used their horse and bullock teams to snig out and haul the logs that had been cut from the ranges.

Traces of gold had been found since early settlement but for years the main mining income came from copper ore. Copper mining ceased in 1913, however the remains of smelters can still be seen today. The first gold was found on "Swindon" cattle station at Mt Rawdon.



Address:Gin Gin - Mount Perry Road (Heusman Street) , Maynard Park , Mount Perry , 4671
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -25.175479
Long: 151.641892
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Sculpture
Monument Theme:Technology


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Wednesday 15th October, 2008
Front Inscription

This statue was erected to give recognition to those people who have lived and died in mining in this region and the contribution of mining to the economies of Mt Perry and Queensland.

In celebration of Queensland`s 150th birthday funding for this project was provided by the Queensland Government`s Q150 Program.

The image was officially unveiled on 15th October, 2008 by Mr Phil Reeves, MP Parliamentary Secretary to the Premier.


Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au