www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Ligurian Bee SanctuaryPrint Page Print this page

14-March-2019
14-March-2019
Photographs supplied by Chris McLaughlin

The National Trust plaque honours the creation of the bee sanctuary in 1885 and an additonal plaque commemorates August Fieber`s contribution to Liguarian bee conservation. 

The Ligurian bees on Kangaroo Island are believed to be the last remaining pure stock of this bee found anywhere in the world. In the early 1880's Ligurian bees were imported by the South Australian Chamber of Manufacturers. The Ligurian bee was named for its origin in the Ligurian Alps in the days of the Roman Empire. Roman historians praised its docility and productivity. The scientific name of this species is Apis mellifera ligustica.

Due to the efforts of Mr. A.E. Bonney, secretary of the South Australian Beekeepers' Association, these bees were introduced to the Island and the bee population rapidly expanded in the mild climate and plentiful pollen and nectar sources.
Kangaroo Island was declared a bee sanctuary in 1885. No other bees have since been imported to the Island.

The site of the original apiary is well known to Islanders but is not supported by firm historical evidence as to the date. However August Fiebig undoubtedly played an important role in conserving the genetic heritage of the pure Ligurian bee.

 

Location

Address:Blue Gum Road, Penneshaw, 5222
State:SA
Area:Foreign
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -35.755333
Long: 137.929526
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Technology
Sub-Theme:Agriculture
Approx. Event Start Date:1885

Dedication

Front Inscription

NATIONAL
TRUST

August Fiebig
Introduced Ligurian Bees
From Italy In 1881
And Established An Apiary Here
The Strain Is Still Pure

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design