www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Establishment of Corriedale Sheep BreedPrint Page Print this page

07-March-2022
07-March-2022

Photographs supplied by Stephen Warren

The plaque commemorates the establishment of the Corriedale sheep breed in South Australia by Dr. W. J. Browne in the 1860's.

The Corriedale is a breed of sheep cross-bred from the Merino and Lincoln Longwool sheep. The breed was officially recognised in 1911.

It is possible that the Lincoln arrived in Van Diemans Land (Tasmania) in about 1838, but its most significant entry into Australia took place in 1858 when Dr. Browne of Moorak near Mount Gambier, South Australia introduced Lincolns to cross with his Merino flocks They were described as being "as big and almost as wide as Shetland ponies" and they immediately demonstrated that the cross produced more wool and yielded more meat than any other Merino combination.

Location

Address:White Avenue & Tenison Drive, Mount Gambier, 5290
State:SA
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -37.832306
Long: 140.749833
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Technology
Sub-Theme:Agriculture

Dedication

Front Inscription

To commemorate the founding and establishment of Corriedale sheep breed in South Australia by Dr. W. J. Browne on this site Moorak in the early 1860's.

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design