www.monumentaustralia.org.au

150 Years of Colac & District Pastoral & Agricultural SocietyPrint Page Print this page

23-March-2021
23-March-2021

Photographs supplied by Sandra Brown

The plaque and dry stone wall were erected to commemorate 150 years of the Colac and District Pastoral & Agricultural Society from 1859 to 2009. The wall was erected in November 2008 and the plaque was not unveiled on the wall until 2011. 

In 1859 a public meeting was held with Colac & district citizens to discuss the idea of establishing an Agricultural Society. The aim of this Society would be to exhibit the outputs of the land and improve standards in agriculture. The Society established an office at the old court house building (Queen Street, Colac).

Location

Address:67 Bruce Street, Colac Showgrounds, Colac, 3250
State:VIC
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -38.335669
Long: 143.603633
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Technology
Sub-Theme:Agriculture
Approx. Event Start Date:1859
Approx. Event End Date:2009

Dedication

Approx. Monument Dedication Date:November-2008
Front Inscription

    COLAC AND DISTRICT
PASTORAL AND AGRICULTURAL SOCIETY

150 YEARS 1859 - 2009

The Colac And District Pastoral And 
Agricultural Society
Was Founded To Promote All Aspects Of
Agriculture, Animal Husbandry, Homecrafts
And Commerce In And Around The
        Colac District.

The Society Has Operated With Honorary
Inputs By Dedicated Individuals Serving As,
Presidents, Committee Members,
Ordinary Members, And Community Helpers.  
These Generous Contributions Are
          Acknowledged.

Commemorative Plaque Unveiled
5th November 2011
             By
Mr Rodney Bowles.  Chairman V. A. S. Ltd 2011

This Commemorative Dry Stone Wall Erected By
The Dry Stone Walls Assocation Of Australia
November 2008

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design