www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Frederick TregowethPrint Page Print this page

28-February-2021
28-February-2021

Photographs supplied by Stephen Warren

The plaque commemorates Frederick Tregoweth who was a foundation member of the Glenburnie Tennis Club. Mr Tregoweth died in 1947. 

Mr. Frederick J. A. Tregoweth, who died suddenly on Feb. 9th at the age ot 49 was a head-teacher in the Education department. During his service he was in charge of Emmans, Glenburnie, Wolseley and Verdun schools. He took a keen interest in public affairs and worked enthusiastically on all committees connected therewith, and during the past six years he rendered untiring service towards patriotic efforts. Mr. Tregoweth was a prominent tennis player holding several championship titles and also took a great interest in choir work and conducted the Methodist church choirs at Wolseley and Verdun. During World War I, in which he served 3½ years, he was wounded in the body and was awarded the D.C.M. He was also one of the South Australian ex-servicemen to go abroad with the coronation contingent in 1937. Mr. Tregoweth leaves a widow, two sons and two daughters. 
Mount Barker Courier and Onkaparinga and Gumeracha Advertiser (SA), 24 April 1947.

Glenburnie had an ideal day on Saturday for their first day of club tennis and opening of the new clubhouse. Their courts probably have no peer now in the district. East Gambier played a practice match with them. President of the Club (Mr. B. G. Baker) officially opened the clubhouse and unveiled a memorial stone to the memory of the late Mr. J. Tregoweth, founder of the Glenburnie Club. Other speakers were the Club Secretary (Mr. H. O'Donoghue), East Captain (Mr. B. Christie), Mr. G. H. Charlesworth and Mr. G. R. Clarke, of Yahl. An excellent afternoon tea was served by the ladies in the new building. The erection of the clubhouse is a most progressive move by the club. A stone structure, it has a kitchen and ample tressle and spectator room. The open portion will be enclosed in the winter and used for table tennis.
Border Watch (Mount Gambier, SA ), 12 October 1948.

 

Location

Address:21 Chambers Road, Tennis Courts , Glenburnie , 5291
State:SA
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -37.839402
Long: 140.858233
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:People
Sub-Theme:Sport

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 9th October, 1948
Front Inscription

In memory of F. Tregoweth

Foundation Member

Glenburnie Tennis Club.

Died 8th Feb. 1947.

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design