www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Webster FamilyPrint Page Print this page

14-January-2021
14-January-2021

Photographs supplied by Stephen Warren

The plaque commemorates the role of the Webster family in establishing and maintaining the trotting facilities on the Klemzig Recreation Grounds. Webster Park is named after the family. 

Location

Address:North East Road, Webster Park, Klemzig, 5087
State:SA
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -34.875341
Long: 138.631966
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:People
Sub-Theme:Sport

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 8th October, 2000
Front Inscription

             WEBSTER PARK

Charles Abner Webster settled at Lansdowne Terrace, North Walkerville on 22. 6. 1900 where he established a dairy and stables.  Frank, one of his four sons all of whom were local dairymen or gardeners, ran a dairy combined with horse breaking and dealing in horses.

All of Frank`s eight children were skilled horse trainers :

A. A. (Ald) WEBSTER    D. M. (Doreen) JACKSON
                                          (nee Webster)

E. M. (Mary) HASTWELL     C. C. (Joe) WEBSTER
(nee Webster)

N. F. (Norm ) WEBSTER    L. G. (Lloyd) WEBSTER

W. K. (Dick) WEBSTER     R. R. (Ross) WEBSTER

Prior to concentrating on trotting, family members won every equine endeavour possible.  In one year W. K. Webster was champion Buck Jumping Rider, champion Gentleman Rider at the Sydney Royal Show and leading trotting driver at the Wayville Trotting Track.

In 1947 the Corporation of the Town of Enfield purchased these grounds and the trotting track and stables were built by volunteer labour.  The control of activities and maintenance of the track has always been by a member of the family viz : A. A. Webster, C. C. Webster and L. G. Webster and his son Douglas for the past 25 years

The success of the track as a training facility can be best jusged by the horses educated and trained here including Interdominion Championship winners

Radiant Venture (Max Stephens)  Rhett`s Law (Norm Webster)
Minuteman (Eric Hurley)                Carclew (John Lewis)

This plaque was erected on the 8. 10. 2000 by the City of Port Adelaide Enfield in recognition of the role of the Webster family in establishing and maintaining the trotting facilities on the Klemzig Recreation Grounds.

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design