James BairdPrint Page Print this page

Photographs supplied by James Ottery
The monument commemorates James Baird, a sheep farmer who bought the first flock of sheep to the District in 1849. Baird was killed by Aborigines in November 1850. The monument has been erected at the site where he was buried. 

The land here was illegally occupied by James Baird before 1850 and he called it Calca after the Aboriginal word of Kolka meaning stars. Baird was killed by Aborigines around 1850 and the first official lease was taken out in 1856. After Baird’s death a police investigating party including the Protector of Aborigines visited the Aboriginal people at Baird’s Bay and one Aboriginal was shot for the murder. Several others were induced to go to Port Lincoln for a trial but there is no evidence that any trial occurred. Flour was distributed to the Aboriginal people when the party left the area and all attempts were made to restore friendly relations with the local Aboriginal people.


Address:Calca Road, James Baird Lake, Searcy Bay Conservation Park, Sceale Bay, 5680
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -33.025477
Long: 134.234616
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:People
Actual Event Start Date:02-November-1850
Actual Event End Date:02-November-1850


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 6th May, 1972
Front Inscription

Pastoralist Baird killed by natives at this spot

Nov. 2nd, 1850

Plaque :

This little monument perpetuates the memory of James Baird who bought the first flock of sheep to this District 

— In the year 1849 —

He was speared by the Natives and buried on this spot on November 2nd 1850 aged 48 years

Erected by - P Baillie & P Murphy

May 6th 1972


Inscription in Proximity
James Baird Monument
Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au