The Clezy MemorialPrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by Stephen Warren

The monument commemorates the Clezy family who first settled in the District in 1849, and remained until 1939.

John Clezy who arrived in 1849 was a farmer and promoted the wheat industry in South Australia.  The land that he bought produced the first commercial wheat crop in the Adelaide Hills in 1840.



Address:Webber Drive & Megan Circuit, Nairne, 5252
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -35.032409
Long: 138.903138
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:People
Approx. Event Start Date:1849
Approx. Event End Date:1939


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 9th April, 2000
Front Inscription

The Clezy Memorial

In 1840, John Clezy, Schoolmaster of Selkirk Scotland, purchased Section 4431 due west on Woodside Road, on which  was grown in that year by his brother in law, John Disher the first commercially significant crop of wheat in the Adelaide Hills

John Clezy arrived here in 1849 and purchased more land on which in 1851 he built Byethorn House which still stands  nearby.

He promoted the wheat industry by donating an imported sample from which varieties successful in inland Australia were  selected.

He died in 1864 and was succeeded by John Clezy II who, with his wife Jane, made an outstanding contribution towards the well-being of Nairne & District.

The family remained here until 1939.

Unveiled on 9. 4. 2000 by Peter Clezy.

Erected by the Clezy Family, National Trust Mt Barker & District Branch, The Mt Barker Agricultural Bureau and the District Council of Mt Barker.

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au