Ralph & Charlotte DodgePrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by David Brighton

The plaque commemorates Ralph and Charlotte Dodge who were pioneers of the district. 

Ralph Dodge was born on Norfolk Island and came to Van Diemen's Land c. 1808. He was first granted land at Clarence Plains, and later at Carlton. He married Charlotte Morris on 5 July 1824 and had 10 surviving children, with Eleanor dying at 13 years of age. In 1830 Ralph purchased a farm property in the area that became known as Dodges Ferry where he built a home made from bricks at his Carlton property.

This was 'Ferry Farm' where he and Charlotte brought up their family, and from where he operated his rowing boat ferry service across to Seven Mile Beach sandspit. Ralph owned over 2,000 acres at the time of his death in 1871, and his four sons each inherited a property.


Address:Jetty Road, Dodges Ferry, 7173
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -42.850993
Long: 147.617524
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:People


Approx. Monument Dedication Date:August-2003
Front Inscription

Ralph Dodge (1791 - 1871) and his ferry service (c.1830 - 1874)

Born on Norfolk Island, son of William Dodge and Charlotte (Simpson).  He was a pioneer landowner before purchasing the  nearby property.  In 1830 to build his home, which is still known as `Ferry Farm`.  From here, he ferried settlers by rowing  boat to the opposite Sandy Point - their fastest and cheapest route to Hobart.

In August 1832, the English ship, `Princess Royal` sailed into Frederick Bay in a storm.  Ralph sighted her off Whale Rock  and signalled a timely warning, directing her to this sheltered shore.

A pioneer mailman, Ralph carried the mail on horseback from Richmond through Carlton to Port Arthur. 

Ralph was granted and purchased more land in the District.  He was the original owner of `Lagoon Farm`, where the  nearby Dodges Ferry School now stands.

Ralph & Charlotte (Morris) Dodge and other pioneers are interred at Carlton River Cemetery. 

Their descendants and the Historical Society of the Municipality of Sorell dedicate this plaque to their memory

- August 2003 -

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au