William CoulthardPrint Page Print this page

Photographs supplied by Bryan Cole

The plaque commemorates William Coulthard, a pioneer who subdivided the land as Nuriootpa in 1850. 

Plaques were ceremoniously unveiled at Nuriootpa, Truro, Lights Pass and Angaston on Friday and Saturday, to commemorate the passing through this district, 100 years ago, of Capt. Chas. Sturt, leader of the exploration expedition to Centralia. Lights Pass and Nuriootpa also had plaques in honor of Col. Wm. Light, who explored this district in 1837 and 1839, and after whom Lights Pass was named by Chas. Flaxman. A third plaque on the Lights Pass cairn commemorates pioneers, whilst one at Nuriootpa is in memory of William Coulthard (Cr. Coulthard's grandfather) who in 1850 subdivided Sec. 156 as Nuriootpa. He died of thirst in 1858 near Pernatty Lagoon (within half a mile of water) in his search for pastoral land. Mrs Boehtn (nee John), who remembers the L carved in the old tree under which Light camped, was received with applause when introduced by Cr. L. Plush. She is now 87.

The Lights Pass cairn is a single stone, 6 tons, set in a 4-ton concrete base. Truro's cairn is of freestone, built at western end of the town. Nuriootpa and Angaston cairns will be built later, the plaques being for the present placed respectively on the SM Hall and Council office. All were unveiled by Mr C. M. Hambidge, pres., SA Royal Geographical Society. The official party included Dr. C. E. C. Wilson (vice-pres.), Mr F. L. Parker (pres., Memorials Commitee). Mr Field and others.
Leader (Angaston, SA), 21 September 1944.



Address:Murray Street, Soldiers Memorial Hall , Nuriootpa, 5355
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -34.470719
Long: 138.99685
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:People


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 16th September, 1944
Front Inscription

William Coulthard

A pioneer who in 1850 subdivided Section 156 as Nuriootpa.

He died of thirst in 1858 near Pernatty Lagoon, whilst searching for pastoral land.

Unveiled 1944.

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au