Henry Conwell WoodPrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by John Huth
The marble plaque commemorates Henry Conwell Wood (1842 - 1926) after whom Woodford is named.

The earliest European settlement in the area was the Archer brothers' Durundur pastoral run (1840). After several changes of ownership, Durundur came under the management of Henry C. Wood in 1867. He lived at Durundur until 1891, was a member of the Caboolture local government division and was a Queensland parliamentarian 1886-1902. Woodford was named after him, 'ford' referring to a crossing on the Stanley River. 

With the death of Mr. Henry Cornwall (sic) Wood at the Diamantina Hospital this week passes another one of the pioneers of Queensland. The introduction of Hereford cattle and the importation of a number of high-class thoroughbred horses was due to Mr. Wood. Born in India, 86 years ago, and educated at Cheltenham College, England, the deceased came to Queensland at the age of 21, and in partnership with Mr. John McConnel took up Durundur station. The town of Woodford, nearby, was consequently named after him. He took a seat in the Legislative Council in 1886, and soon be came a prominent figure there. His other positions included the secretaryship of the Queensland Horticultural and Agricultural Society.
Week (Brisbane), 25 June 1926.

The Right Rev Henry Newton Bishop of New Guinea is visiting Woodford and Kilcoy on Saturday and Sunday January 18 and 19. At Woodford on Saturday Dr Newton will unveil a tablet in memory of the late Mr H C Wood. On Sunday he will preach at St Marys Church Kilcoy at 11 am and at St Matthias Church Woodford at 7 30 pm. 
Brisbane Courier (Qld.), 11 January, 1930.


Address:88 Archer Street (D`Aguilar Highway) , St Matthais Anglican Church, Woodford, 4514
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -26.953538
Long: 152.776845
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:People


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 18th January, 1930
Front Inscription

In loving memory of Henry Conwell Wood M. L. C.

Born 5th July 1842.
Died 18th June 1926.

To whom this Church owes its erection. 

And this town its name.

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au