Dr Samuel CameronPrint Page Print this page

A tree commemorates Dr Samuel S Cameron, the Victorian Director of Agriculture from 1911-31, who jointly established the State Research Farm with A.E. Richardson, Agricultural Superintendent and farm manager H.C Wilson. The tree was planted in front of the office in 1931. 

The State Research Farm, was established to support for the Closer Settlement programme under which, from 1898, parts of a number of large squatting era land holdings had been resumed and broken into farms intended for dairying, wheat growing and mixed farming in Victoria. Twenty thousand acres of the Chirnside’s Werribee Estate had been acquired for closer settlement purposes in 1906. In 1912, an area of 1167 acres of this land was acquired by the Department of Agriculture for the establishment of a Research Farm.


Address:600 Sneydes Road, Former State Research Farm Site, Werribee, 3030
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -37.896631
Long: 144.687746
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Tree
Monument Theme:People
Link: http://vhd.heritage.vic.gov.au/


Approx. Monument Dedication Date:1931
Source: VHD
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au