William John & Ian Clunies RossPrint Page Print this page

The Blue Plaque recognises scientists William John Clunies Ross (1850 -1914) and his son Ian Clunies Ross (1899 - 1959). 

William was appointed resident science master in Bathurst by the Board of Technical Education, he set about establishing a new school in the city to teach sciences allied with gold mining. His son veterinary scientist Ian turned his innovative research into parasitology into the eventual role of Chair of what would become the Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO).

The New South Wales Blue Plaques program celebrates heritage by recognising noteworthy people and events from our State’s history. The program aims to capture public interest and fascination in people, events and places which form the story of NSW. It is inspired by the famous London Blue Plaques program which originally started in 1866, and similar programs around the world.



Address:372 Panorama Avenue, TAFE NSW - Bathurst Campus, Bathurst, 2795
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -33.434881
Long: 149.564171
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:People


Front Inscription

NSW Government

William John &
Ian Clunies Ross

1850 - 1914
1899 - 1959

Father and son educators and scientists lived in this city

Source: Blue Plaques Program, ADB
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au