www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Edith OsbornPrint Page Print this page

21-July-2021
21-July-2021

Photographs supplied by Paul Scott

The stained glass window commemorates botanist Edith May Osborn (1887 - 1958).

Collaborating with her husband, Thomas Osborn, she helped to establish a Botany department in Adelaide, and held the Chair of Botany in 1912 and 1920.  She was the first woman to be appointed a Governor of the Adelaide Botanic Gardens in 1916.

She was the Chair of the Australian Branch of the International Federation of University Women from 1935 to 1937, and the botanical member of Lord Florey`s team in the development of penicillin at Oxford, England from 1943 to 1949.

 

 

 

Location

Address:46 Pennington Terrace, St Mark's College, Adelaide, 5000
State:SA
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -34.921394
Long: 138.598653
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Window
Monument Theme:People
Sub-Theme:Science
Designer:Cedar Prest
Monument Manufacturer:Cedar Prest

Dedication

Approx. Monument Dedication Date:1990
Front Inscription

A. M. D. G.

This window, designed by Cedar Prest in 1990 as a companion to the Rose Window opposite, consists of three Madonna lilies - a heraldic symbol of Magdalen College, Oxford - and commemorates Edith May Osborn, M.Sc. 1887 - 1958

Convenor of the Ladies Commitee associated with the opening of St Mark`s College.  

The first woman to be appointed a Governor of the Adelaide Botanic Gardens in 1916, and to hold the Chair of Botany (her husband`s) in 1919 - 20.

Subsequently Chair of the Australian Branch of the International Federation of University Women, 1935 - 37, and the botanical member of Lord Florey`s team for the development of Penicillin at Oxford, 1943 - 49

 

Source: MA,PS,ADB
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design