Frederick Marshall JohnstonPrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by Alan Doyle

The geodetic survey station was named in honour of Frederick Marshall Johnston (1885 - 1963), Commonwealth Surveyor General and the first Director of National Mapping.

Johnston arrived in Canberra in 1913 to work as a surveyor. He surveyed the south eastern portion of the ACT border and the Cotter Valley when World War One commenced. Initially he was not allowed to enlist until December 1916; and before then he was transferred to work in Western Australia on the site of a naval base and the transcontinental railway.

He arrived in England in July 1918 and was taken on strength with the Engineers Detail. He returned to Australia in December and being discharged in January 1920. Johnston returned to Canberra to work  and went on to become Commonwealth Surveyor General (1944 - 1949), Chief Property Officer and Director of National Mapping as well as serving on the Australian Capital Territory Advisory Council (1945 - 1949).

NOTE:   This monument is located on private property.  Mount Cavenagh Station is owned by Victory Grazing Pty Ltd, and approval of entry to Alan Doyle was granted by Amy Roche of Victory Grazing Pty Ltd for entry on the 26 May 2019.


Address:Mount Cavenagh, Mount Cavenagh Station, Ghan, 0872
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -25.94701
Long: 133.209702
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Technology
Monument Theme:People


Approx. Monument Dedication Date:1966
Front Inscription

National Mapping Council of Australia

Johnston Geodetic Station

Adopted by the Council as the datum for the National Geodetic and Topographic Survey and established by the Division of  National Mapping, Commonwealth Department of National Mapping


Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au