www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Dr Allan CampbellPrint Page Print this page

10-November-2020
10-November-2020

Photographs supplied by Stephen Warren

The former Allen Campbell building which is part of the Adelaide Children's Hospital was named to commemorate the efforts of Dr Allan Campbell, who maintained a close association with the Hospital, equipping operating theatres, giving lectures and promoting improvements within the hospital. Dr Allan Campbell was one of the founders of the Adelaide Children`s Hospital. The foundation stone of the building was laid on the 12th December 1896 and the building was officilly opened on the 16th October 1897.

The building is now known as the Ronald McDonald Children's Clinic.

In 1876 Campbell`s practical suggestions formed the basis of the report of the government`s commission on sanitation, of which he was a member. It suggested increased power for the Central Board of Health, to which he was later nominated, and the appointment of district health officers. Soon Adelaide became the first Australian capital to undertake a deep-drainage sewage system. He then formed a committee to raise funds to build a hospital for poor children. Two years later the Adelaide Children's Hospital and Training School for Nurses opened; Campbell's architectural knowledge had influenced its design. In 1878 Campbell had been elected to the Legislative Council; he remained a member until his death.

 

 

Location

Address:58 King William Road, Adelaide Children`s Hospital, North Adelaide, 5006
State:SA
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -34.911621
Long: 138.599055
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Structure
Monument Theme:People
Sub-Theme:Medicine
Designer:Alfred Wells (architect)
Monument Manufacturer:W. C. Torode
Link:http://www.heritage.gov.au/ahpi/

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 12th December, 1896
Front Inscription

Plaque :

Adelaide Children`s Hospital.

Allan Campbell builldings.

Thi stone was laid by the patroness Lady Victoria Buxton on the 12th day of December 1896.

 

Source: MA, ADB, AHPI
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design