Dr Gemmel TassiePrint Page Print this page

Photographs supplied by Bryan Cole

Gemmell Tassie Reserve was named in honour of Dr Gemmel Tassie for his service to the District for over 50 years.

Dr Gemmel Tassie started his education at St Peters College with an ambition to study engineering which did not eventuate because lack of sponsorship and he decided to study medicine at the Adelaide University. 

He graduated in 1926 and started to practice medicine in the Murray Mallee. This was the time of the great depression and the community of Murrayville was severely affected. His income was minimal. He often accepted a fraction of his fee, in one instance one shilling as full settlement of his account for several pounds. Farm produce was often accepted as payment for services rendered.

In 1943, after eleven years he moved to McLaren Vale and for considerable time was the only general practitioner between the Adelaide Hills and Murray Bridge.  He was a strong supporter of the hospital at McLaren Vale, and when this was built he became the first Honorary Medical Officer of the Southern Districts War Memorial Hospital.

He was awarded the OAM in 1993. He excelled at bowls and was a president and a long-term patron of the McLaren Vale Bowling Club



Address:West Park Way & South Park Way, Gemmel Tassie Reserve , McLaren Vale, 5171
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -35.216839
Long: 138.535137
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Park
Monument Theme:People


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 21st July, 1991
Front Inscription

The District Council of Willunga

Gemmel Tassie Reserve

In honor of Dr. Gemmel Tassie for over 50 years of dedicated service to the District.

Erected 21st July, 1991

Mayor  R. E. Bishop
Chief Executive Officer  K. M. Just

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design