Clarence H. SmithPrint Page Print this page

27-December-2020 (Stephen Warren)
27-December-2020 (Stephen Warren)

Photographs supplied by Arthur Garland / Stephen Warren

The stump jump plough is a tribute to Clarence H. Smith (1855 - 1901) who perfected and manufactured the ploughs at Ardrossan. The plaque to the memory of Smith had been in the local Institute for many years but the Lions Club felt a memorial incorporating the plough would be more often noticed by tourists. A plough was restored and mounted on its present site in 1972.

Prior to the invention of the Stump Jump plough, all tillage implements had fixed or rigid tynes, which often broke when the soil contained stones or stumps. Richard Bowyer Smith, it is said, was inspired to-develop, the Stump Jump plough when he noticed that the ploughs often worked better with broken tynes, as they rode over the stones.

Clarence made the first stump jump plough under his brother Richard`s direction in 1876 and continued improving the design while farming at Kalkabury(now Arthurton). Clarence H. Smith`s factory at Ardrossan produced Stump Jump ploughs between 1880 and 1935, at the peak of production employing 70 men to make 14 ploughs each week.


Address:East Terrace , Foreshore Park , Ardrossan, 5571
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -34.422792
Long: 137.920494
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Technology
Monument Theme:People
Approx. Event Start Date:1880
Approx. Event End Date:1935


Approx. Monument Dedication Date:1972
Front Inscription

                   Erected By
        Ardrossan & Districts Lions Club
                As A Tribute To 
    Who Perfected & Manufactured 
Stump Jump Ploughs At Ardrossan
                1880 - 1935


Source: MA,NRUM
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au