James Cuming Print Page Print this page

James Cumig Memorial
James Cumig Memorial

Photographs supplied by Kent Watson

The statue erected by public subscription commemorates James Cuming (1835 -1911). It was originally unveiled at Napier Street, Footscray and later was relocated to Yarraville. The statue was restored and rededicated on the 21st October 2001. 

The statue is a white marble bust of Cuming and four cherubims, representing Peace (holding a dove), Harmony (pan flute), Plenty (sheaf of wheat and a rock for crushing wheat), and Industry (spindle).

James Cuming was the founder of Cuming, Smith and Company which employed many local residents. He was a life governor and patron of almost every charitable institution in Footscray and Yarraville. Also chairman of Footscray Court, a member of Footscray Council, president of Footscray Football Club, and Mayor of Footscray in 1891.



Address:Hyde Street & Somerville Road, Yarraville Gardens, Yarraville, 3013
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -37.814079
Long: 144.897994
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Statue
Monument Theme:People
Artist:Margaret Baskerville


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 15th April, 1916
Front Inscription

Erected by the citizens

In appreciation of the life of the late James Cuming, J.P.

"His memory lives in the hearts of all who knew his worth"

Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design