Patrick LesliePrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by John Huth
The monument commemorates Patrick Leslie who founded "Toolburra" in July 1840, which was the first sheep station in Queensland.

In January 1840 Leslie started with a large party for the Clarence River district, and then resolved to look at the Darling Downs seen thirteen years before by Allan Cunningham. With one convict, Murphy, as a companion, he crossed and recrossed the southern and eastern downs and decided on the area that was to become Toolburra and Canning Downs for his first station. Walter Leslie and Ernest Dalrymple quickly followed with the flocks, and thus in 1840 the Leslies became the first European settlers on the Darling Downs.


Address:Leyburn - Cunningham Road, Cunningham, 4370
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -28.158931
Long: 151.835539
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:People
Actual Event Start Date:02-July-1840


Front Inscription

Erected in memory of Patrick Leslie 

He founded "Toolburra" the first sheep station in Queensland on the knoll behind this cairn on 2nd July 1840


Left Side Inscription

Rosenthal Shire Council 

10 - 12 - 1959


Cr. J. A. Costello. O. B. E.  Chairman.
"    D. R. Butler
"    T. J. Cullen
"    R. H. Eastwell
"   R. C. Eckhardt
"   W. G. Griesheimer
"    E.  Humphreys
"    J. A. Mitchell
"    G. L. Nicholls
"    P. Sexton

Shire Clerk
Mr. C. F. B. Burton

Source: MA, ADB
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au