Arthur ProctorPrint Page Print this page

Photographs supplied by John Huth

The park commemorates Arthur Proctor who was an original syndicate member of Burgowan Coal and Company, its Chief Executive Officer and Chairman of Directors.

The Nagoorin Syndicate (which mined coal near Many Peaks in an area known as Nagoorin) abandoned their mine when it became flooded and formed a new syndicate. This became the Burgowan Syndicate. It commenced mining coal near Torbanlea in 1918 at a mine formerly operated by Johann Bellert.  Bellert had been interned due to his German ancestry during World War One. At this stage the syndicate leased the mine. It later purchased the freehold on 28/10/1920 and the Burgowan Coal Company Ltd was formed.

Howard was the centre of the Burrum Coal Mining region where up to 94 shaft and tunnel mines extracted more than 14 million tonnes of coal from nine seams. Coal from the mines, clustered around Howard and Torbanlea, powered sugar mills, Maryborough foundries and the Gympie gold fields and was processed into coking coal and coal gas.



Address:Torquay Road, Arthur Proctor Memorial Park, Scarness , 4655
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -25.287081
Long: 152.859686
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Park
Monument Theme:People


Front Inscription

Arthur Proctor

Memorial Park

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au