Frank LongPrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by John Huth

The monument commemorates Frank Long, the discoverer of silver and lead in Zeehan in 1882.  It was erected on the centenary of his discovery. Frank Long was buried in Evandale. 

Frank Long (1844? – 1908), prospector and track-cutter, discovered the Zeehan-Dundas silver-lead field in 1882. Born in Launceston, the son of ex-convicts, he grew up at Campbell Town. Red-headed, freckled, Long was one of Tasmania's hardiest bushmen until rheumatism and alcoholism set in. As a youth he dug for gold at Castlemaine and in New Zealand. In 1876 he joined Charles Sprent's Mount Heemskirk expedition, which cleaved the west coast open to prospectors. Rewarded with shares for his Zeehan find, Long sold them for £600 and probably drank the money away. In his declining years the state government awarded him an annuity. The lasting significance of his discovery was Tasmania's economic stimulus when the Broken Hill Proprietary Limited 'brains trust', arriving to inspect Zeehan, developed the far more valuable Mount Lyell copper mine instead.


Address:Murray Street, Evandale Cemetery & Pioneer Park, Evandale, 7212
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -41.569637
Long: 147.247662
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:People
Approx. Event Start Date:1882
Approx. Event End Date:1982


Approx. Monument Dedication Date:1982
Front Inscription

In memory of Frank Long (1841 - 1908)

Buried in these grounds, 

Discoverer of silver - lead in Zeehan,

8th December 1882.

Erected in his honour by the citizens of Zeehan to commemorate the centenary of his discovery

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au