Queen VictoriaPrint Page Print this page

23-April-2019 (John Huth)
23-April-2019 (John Huth)

Photographs supplied by Sandra Brown / John Huth

The church commemorates Queen Victoria.  The former Presbyterian Church building was opened in January 1901 and dedicated as the Queen Victoria Memorial Church - believed to be the first memorial to Queen Victoria in the British Empire. It was officially opened by Anne Bon in 1901, one week after the Queen died.

Victoria (24 May 1819 – 22 January 1901) was Queen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland from 20 June 1837 until her death. From 1 May 1876, she adopted the additional title of Empress of India. With a reign of 63 years, seven months and two days, Victoria was the longest - reigning British monarch and the longest-reigning queen regnant in world history until her great-great-granddaughter Queen Elizabeth II surpassed her on 9 September 2015.

Queen Victoria`s birthday, 24th May, used to be called `Empire Day`. There were special assemblies at school with songs praising the British Empire. Children were then given a half-day holiday. Up to the 1950s, Empire Day was celebrated in Australia with huge bonfires and fireworks.





Address:Church Street, Bonnie Doon, 3720
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -37.022361
Long: 145.859381
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Structure
Monument Theme:People
Actual Event Start Date:20-June-1837
Actual Event End Date:22-January-1901


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Tuesday 29th January, 1901
Front Inscription

Plaque :

This foundation stone was laid by Mrs A. F. Bon

A. D. March 20th 1900.

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design