David D. Smith Print Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by Graeme Saunders

The park commemorates David Douglas Smith who planned roads and stock routes in Central Australia.

David Smith came to Alice Springs in the early 1930s as the first Resident Engineer for the Department of Works. As engineer he was responsible for the planning and development of roads and stock routes in Central Australia. He played a leading role in planning and supervising the Darwin to Alice Springs section of the Stuart Highway and opened routes to travellers and settlers.


Address:Parsons & Hartley Streets, D. D. Smith Park, Alice Springs, 0870
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -23.698196
Long: 133.881742
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Park
Monument Theme:People
Sub-Theme:Government - State


Approx. Monument Dedication Date:16-May-1981
Front Inscription

D. D. Smith Park.

This park is dedicated to David Douglas Smith, J.P., first resident engineer, Department of Works of Central Australia, 1928 to 1957.

He played a leading role in planning & supervising the construction of the Stuart Highway between Darwin & Alice Springs.  He assisted in opening the outback to travellers & settlers by developing roads, stock routes & bores.

He made the needs & wishes of the people of this area become his major concern.  His name appears on the records of almost every page of the development of Central Australia.

D. D. Smith came to this place when it was a small outback settlement & on this site, set up his home office in tents.  The tents have long disappeard by the mark of the man who erected them shall remain.

This plaque was unveiled by the Honourable Paul Everingham M.L.A., Chief Minister of the Northern Territory, on 16 May 1981.


Left Side Inscription

Margaret Grace Smith lived on this site with her husband resident engineer David Douglas Smith from 1928 until 1957.

Together they raised their 5 children Puxie, Did, Ben, Graeme and Helen.

The two palm trees growing in the park were planted by Margaret in 1930 and stand as a living reminder of a much loved mother and pioneering woman.

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au