www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Sir Albert LindPrint Page Print this page

Sir Albert Lind : 15-August-2011
Sir Albert Lind : 15-August-2011

Photographs supplied by Graeme Saunders

The Lind Bridge was named to commemorate Sir Albert Lind, M.L.A., councillor for the East Riding of Bairnsdale Shire from 1914 to 1925 (President, 1917 - 1918) who was known as a forceful advocate of greater government responsibility for rural roadworks.

In October 1920, as a Victorian Farmers` Union candidate, he won the Legislative Assembly seat of Gippsland East and quickly made his presence felt in debates. He constantly championed his electorate, advocating road and rail extension, the development of a port at Lakes Entrance, and the opening up of forest reserves to sawmillers, as well as forest conservation and reafforestation. In 1926 two national parks east of Orbost were named the Albert and the Lind national parks after him.

In 1922 he became a member of the select committee for electricity supply and later of the Railways Standing Committee and the Parliamentary Printing Committee. He was also chairman of the Unemployment and Relief Council.

Location

Address:Bullumwaal Road, Mitchell River, Lind Bridge, Wy Yung, 3875
State:VIC
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -37.814294
Long: 147.617796
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Structure
Monument Theme:People
Sub-Theme:Government - State
Link:http://adbonline.anu.edu.au/adbonli…

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Thursday 20th October, 1960
Front Inscription

Lind Bridge

Named in honour of Sir Albert Lind K.B., M.L.A.

Officially opened by Mr. D. V. Darwin M.M. M.C.E. Chairman Country Roads Board

20 - 10 - 1960

Source: MA,VMR,ADB
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design