www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Sir Cecil HincksPrint Page Print this page

16-March-2019
16-March-2019

Photographs supplied by Chris McLaughlin

The reserve was established to commemorate Sir Cecil Hincks.

Sir Cecil Stephen Hincks (1894-1963), was a politician, farmer and soldier.  He began work in the flour-milling business and was about to try out for Port Adelaide Football Club when World War One commenced. On 19 August 1914 he enlisted in the Australian Imperial Force and was posted to the 10th Battalion. He served at Gallipoli and on the Western Front where he was commissioned in January 1917. Gunshot wounds to his chest and thigh in April led to the amputation of his left leg, a year's convalescence in England and more than one hundred surgical operations over the remainder of his life.

After being employed at Port Victoria by the Wheat Harvest Board, Hincks set up on his own, managing grain and insurance agencies. In 1928 he bought a farm at Urania. A popular figure, he was a justice of the peace, prominent in sporting, educational and charitable organizations, and a State councillor (1922-46) of the Returned Sailors' and Soldiers' Imperial League of Australia.

He was elected to the House of Assembly in March 1941 as the Liberal and Country League member for Yorke Peninsula and was to be returned unopposed at every election until his death. He was appointed in 1945 to a committee which was charged with inspecting and assessing land for purchase by the Federal government for the resettlement of ex-servicemen.

On 17 April 1946 Hincks was given the portfolios of lands, irrigation and repatriation; he held them until 1 January 1963. Despite his crutches and poor health, he gave himself unstintingly, and received widespread respect and affection. For all that, soldier settlement required a stronger and abler minister, and one more prepared to co-operate with the Department of Agriculture.

The demand by soldier settlers for viable blocks soon exceeded the supply and resettlement was painfully slow, even after changes to the scheme in 1948-49.  His record term saw the consolidation of the repatriation programme and many related achievements, particularly the Loxton irrigation project.

Hincks was knighted in 1960.  In 1961 he visited the United States of America, Europe and Japan, investigating the bulk-handling of barley and seeking markets for South Australia's salt and iron ore.

Location

Address:Timber Creek Road, Parndana Camp , Parndana, 5220
State:SA
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -35.791931
Long: 137.344261
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Park
Monument Theme:People
Sub-Theme:Government - State
Link:http://adb.anu.edu.au/

Dedication

Approx. Monument Dedication Date:1964
Front Inscription

Plaque :
Sir Cecil Hincks Memorial Reserve

Dedicated 1964

This site was the operational headquarters for development of the War Service Land Settlement on Kangaroo Island. 174 Ex-servicemen of World War II have been settled on farms developed from some 250000 acres of virgin scrub. The scheme is the joint responsibility of the State and Commonwealth Governments and is administered by the Department of Lands. Sir Cecil Hincks was Minister of Lands during the major period of operations.

Plaque :
Area of Kangaroo Island                 Acres 1,075,200
Total area of farms                          Acres 255,608
Number of farms                             174
Total area of pasture                        Acres 142,712
Totla fencing                                     Miles 1,525
Stock capaity of sheep at allotment  210,000

Source: MA, ADB
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design